Thursday, January 28, 2010

Exam anxiety

Earlier this week I read about a University of Manitoba case in which a PhD candidate in an unnamed program was reinstated after twice failing their comprehensive examination because the student suffers from "extreme" exam anxiety.  A senior administrator indicated that the student's PhD will be determined solely on the basis of the thesis.  I bet there are many chemists out there who wish they could have availed themselves of this option when they were in graduate school.

According to the article, the Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada claims that 7% of college students report symptoms of anxiety disorder.  Hell, in my organic class only 7% don't have test anxiety and those people are generally the ones who should have test anxiety.

I am not without sympathy, but I also am a lift yourself by your bootstraps guy too.  Will a student who has been accommodated throughout college get the same type of treatment in a career?  Are we awarding a degree which they will not be able to use?  Are we really helping the student by not asking them to address their disability and find the personal or community resources needed to overcome their disability?

Perhaps we should make accommodation for disability to the extent that students are making an effort to deal with their disability.  Have test anxiety?  We will accommodate you during exams so long as you attend weekly counseling to deal with your anxiety.

I have seen many students over the years who got extra time on exams due to disability and had very high grades.  Yet on quizzes, where they got the same amount of time as everyone else, had no apparent problem.  For some of my students the disability designation is a crutch.  I can't help but wonder if we should be tougher and help our students stand on their own to the limits of their ability.

T.S. Hall

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a slippery slope in academia. But like you said, it wouldn't be tolerated well outside of a university.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who suffers from anxiety disorder due to the death of a family member, I take issue with this post. Yes, I had anxiety in highschool and university - as you said, everyone experiences anxiety. The difference between anxiety and an anxiety disorder, at least in my experience, is that in the case of a disorder one cannot function through the anxiety. Now when I experience anxiety, it quickly feeds itself and becomes out of control in a way it never did before. As a result, I have to first calm my anxiety before I can write my dissertaion or exam as I cannot simply ignore it - it will become a full blown panic attack in that case.

    I currently avail myself of the accomodation of extra time, which you mentioned in your post, and I need that time because I need to take care of my anxiety as I write the exam. If I did not have this accomodation, I would have dropped out of university a long time ago - and just for background I am your typical A+ student and leader in highschool, received $30,000 in scholarships upon entering university, and maintained my high average - all of this without any accomodation before my anxiety disorder. I am capable of achieving a lot in life, but I now have new limits to take into consideration.

    As to the transition to the 'real world', I think the solution would be to change the work culture. There is such a stigma attached to depression and anxiety - one is often perceived as weak or a failure. This needs to change.

    In terms of your suggestion of 'tough love', most people that I know use accomodation not as a crutch but as a tool. Hopefully I will not need this accomodation later in life, but for now the extra time allows me to build my confidence and get used to controlling my anxiety in a safe setting - university.

    It is true that I will not be able to go into high pressure, driven careers - that is a dream I had to let go of since accomodation for this kind of anxiety just is not accomodated in those settings. I have accepted this and have redirected my life accordingly to ensure my health. However, I really do hope for a world where there are more resources and less stigma regarding anxiety, as this is (ironically) one of the largest sources of anxiety for many people. Until then, I have to accept my limits, and deal with all the stigma myself. You may not have intended to offend, but this article deeply offended me.

    Accomodation is not a crutch for me - it is a vital resource that has allowed me to focus my energies on expanding my family and friend networks and establishing the resources I need to succeed. Accomodation gives me a safe space in which to confront my anxiety (during an exam where I have the extra time to do so). Through this practice, I am learning how to best control my anxiety and regain my confidence in order to minimize the limits imposed by this disorder. Please think about this next time you think someone should simply "pull themselves up by their bootstraps". I am doing exactly that, but it is not enough - I need help. And I dislike being considered a lesser person that I was for needing this help.

    I hope this post has given you a new perspective and I wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors. Take care, - K.

    ReplyDelete