Friday, June 26, 2009

Two-Day Furlough II

I felt I was too obsessed with this topic and have been trying to stay away from it so as not to depress my readers.  But, the fear, hopelessness, and anger associated with California's budget uncertainty is palpable on the CSU and UC campuses.  A very small taste can be seen in the comments to my previous two-day furlough post.

I was recently talking to a Provost from one of the CSU's when I expressed concern that the CSU system and the State have given up on their commitment to education, which is documented in the state's Master Plan for Education.  In the back of my mind I was hoping that the Provost would tell me how I was wrong and give me some hope that even though times are bad the commitment was still there.  Unfortunately, the Provost's reply was that I should forget about the Master Plan for Education as it no longer exists as a guiding principle.

My gut tells me that we faculty must look at this situation as we do grant writing, where we make a reasoned cases as to why extremely limit resources should be invested in us.  Pundits say, you can't raise taxes and fees or you will chase business out of the state.  A workforce that lacks people trained in STEM fields will do that to high tech industry also.  Pharmaceutical
 companies in California approach me regularly complaining that they can't find the science trained BS and MS graduates they need and waste precious resources bringing in employees from out of state, or outsourcing overseas.

My mind tells me that California has passed the point where logical arguments and thoughtful forward looking decision making will be applied to solving the budget crisis.   It's all about cost per degree sold at this point.  The STEM fields and particularly scholarship at CSU's cost too much for the bean counters to justify.  California, which built a reputation for high tech is divesting itself of education particularly in high tech fields and as in all things, the state will reap what it has sown. 

So to my CSU and UC friends I will close with the only advice I can give , Hang on, it's going to be a very bumpy ride!

T.S. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment