Friday, June 19, 2009

Say it ain't so!

I have followed the Gaussling's blog since its early days.  My favorite entries have been on the topics of industrial chemistry and his own reflections of the difference between industry and academe.  

My friend the Gaussling has announced that he is considering giving up his blog.  With only six months of blogging and a much smaller readership, I understand his feeling.  My sabbatical will be ending soon and I too will have to decide if I should keep blogging.  

Blog burnout is like chemistry burnout , where you tire of the same science everyday and the thought of writing another grant on the topic makes you think about opening a shoe store.  Honestly, I don't know how Derek at In The Pipeline does it.  

Blogging less might be the cure, although I have noticed that blogging less leads to less and less.  Eventually the whole enterprise stops.  Perhaps, we should start an Occasional Chemistry Blog with multiple writers and where everyone posts on a schedule like once every week or two.

Regardless of which choice he makes, the Gaussling has made a positive contribution with his blog and I am proud to call him my friend.

T.S. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment