Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Hammer Problem

The other day I was discussing a research problem with one of my RO1 colleagues.  At one point my research university counterpart pointed out that rather than killing myself trying to isolate my crossover experiment products, electrospray MS would give me the answer directly from the mixture.  It was clearly the right experiment for my system.  This left me thinking about why I had not seen the simple solution.  

Even though I do a decent job keeping up with the literature and I try to be aware of current techniques, after years of work with limited resources I had fallen prey to limiting my thinking to using the hammer I have.  I don't know when this happened and suspect that it was incremental.  I know I used to be embarrassed for my senior colleagues and their antiquated solutions to problems.  I suppose my junior colleagues may be embarrassed by me today.

I bring this up to make the case for strong seminar series which bring resource rich colleagues to campus and provide dialog between PUI faculty and your RO1 colleagues.  Too often visits with seminar speakers involve passing the time about textbooks used or the differences between our campus structures.  In the future if you come to my office expect to talk about my research problems.

Junior faculty have more modern experience but can be afraid of telling their senior colleagues that there is a more up-to-date solution.  We must keep in mind that the end goal is good science, so bring on your incites.  Being a useful colleague is better than being a deferential colleague.

Let me present my puzzles and my planned solutions.  Give me your good ideas if you have them.  If you have access to the instruments that will better address my puzzle, tell me how I can get access.  Old dogs can learn new tricks and will if the old tricks don't yield the kibble they used to.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. The sentiments expressed here certainly resonate.

    Some thoughts -

    1) Can we use the web as part of the solution? How to discuss problems and ideas online in a way that will attract the people who have the answers? And without having them stolen. I'm not sure.

    But, I have made the observation that speakers in demand get to discuss their research with many different people and thus their research gets input that I will never have.

    2) The problem is not just a PUI problem. Everybody doing research suffers from the possiblity of not knowing a critical technique or solution that is available.

    3) Access to instruments is critical. Every NSF funded grant to an RO1 should be required to have at least 1 collaborator at a PUI. It would benefit both people. PUI's work hard, have lots of knowledge and are still in the lab. When did "favorite big name here" last run a 500MHz NMR or do a GC-MS? Or select a solvent for TLC?

    Nice idea for a blog. Hope you keep it up after the sabbatical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. This is definitely a good blog about PUIs. As a student at a PUI two years ago I had the fortune of having an LC/MS/MS available, it definitely is good at giving yes/no answers and also giving up clues that are difficult to find by TLC and NMR alone.

    ReplyDelete