Monday, January 19, 2009

Preparation

On my sabbatical I will be working in a laboratory of a friend and colleague at a nearby campus of a large public research university.  There are advantages and disadvantages to this.  One advantage is the ability to extricate myself from my many service tasks and committees on my home campus for the next seven or eight months.  The main disadvantage is leaving my current research students behind.  

Being at comprehensive university I have both BS and MS degree candidates in my laboratory.  Since they are BS/MS candidates they have poor lab skills and little understanding of the realities of producing publishable research.  They require constant supervision and support, which might make one ask why I do this.  Mainly, I do this because I get to help confused drifting young adults find focus and passion for a career.  It is really something great to help change a life.

I chose back before I enrolled in a PhD degree program to target a career at the comprehensive university where I could engage in both teaching and research on a near equal basis.  The decision was based in no small part to the mentoring I received from the faculty at a comprehensive university when I was an undergraduate.  I was a lost undergraduate drifting from major to major in the sciences until an organic chemistry faculty member took the time to help me find a focus.  In changing student's lives in the sciences the research component is key.  At that point when you leave the course work behind and embrace the real day-to-day of the field you really find out who you are and if the field is for you.

I realized that at a research university the first responsibility of faculty is research.  At comprehensive universities, at least in their mission statements, the focus is on training students and preparing them for careers and graduate school.  We may not publish as much research, but we do get to make a huge difference in student's lives.

On Saturday I met with my research students to make sure they were on track before I take off on begin my sabbatical.  E-mail will make it possible for me to keep in touch from a distance and hopefully keep them on track.  Today, I am organizing my notebooks and compounds I will need to get started in the new lab.

And so the adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment