Saturday, January 17, 2009

First Epistle

There was a time before modern agriculture when farmers would allow the land to lie fallow every seventh year so the soil could rejuvenate and be more productive.  This was the sabbatical year.  In higher education we have a tradition of allowing faculty members to take some time off to reflect and rejuvenate every seven years. 

I am beginning my first sabbatical after eighteen years as a faculty member and as I reflect I thought I would embrace the new world and share my thoughts.  Thus, this blog is born.  I intend it to span the next eight months until I return, like Cincinnatus, to the plow.  I hope to contribute on a regular basis and perhaps those contributions will find some purchase in blogosphere.

A bit about me for context purposes.

I am a full professor at a large public comprehensive university.  I am a chemist and I teach primarily organic chemistry.  While I have never had an administrative title, I have considered that aspect of higher education quite a bit and even applied for chair positions over the years.  This blog will probably touch on all those aspects of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment