Thursday, November 25, 2010

Research on a Budget

In addition to my unexplainable curiosity about mechano-chemistry (which includes sonochemistry and grinding or ball-mill reactions, none of which I do), papers that key on low cost research tend to catch my eye.  I suppose it's because my group runs on a shoestring.  With this in mind, I will draw attention to a recent Tetrahedron Letters paper on the use of animal bone meal (ABM) as a catalyst of the crossed-aldol condensation.  This is actually the second paper from this group, but I don't have access to Letters in Organic Chemistry papers, so I missed the original report.

In the recent paper, the authors did not go into the conceptual leap that inspired this research area, which I am curious about.  But, I do love how the mostly Moroccan authors spent no dollars, or dirham, with Aldrich or Acros for their catalyst.  They invest some column inches on how to prepare ABM and Na/ABM from animal bones "collected from nearby butcher shops." (Na/ABM is ABM impregnated with sodium nitrite.)  Now, that's research on a shoestring!

So, as you gaze upon the carcass of the once golden Tom Turkey upon your table give Thanks that the catalyst of a new research venture lies before you.  I can see the series of papers now; Turkey Bone Meal catalyzed . . ., Free Range Turkey Bone Meal catalyzed . . ., Wild Turkey catalyzed blog writing in organic chemistry, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving!

T.S. Hall

1 comment:

  1. This is pretty interesting. I would like to do a research on bone meals. Could you suggest how to prepare animal bone meal catalyst, which can be applied as methodology?

    ReplyDelete