Monday, August 16, 2010

Two weeks to the new year

One of my research students, BP, just dumped 200mL of silicone oil into the sink thinking that it was "cloudy water".  He did not even notice that it floated on top of the water in the sink.  It was only when I asked him why the oil bath reaction setup was missing the oil that he even knew he did anything wrong.  Perhaps, I should rephrase that since the he indicated that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.  From the look on his face he is quite puzzled by my cursing, which I generally don't do in front of students.  This is a student who I can't trust to do anything without my standing over him.  Several times I concluded that I might as well do the work myself, for the sake of the equipment, the environment, my budget, and everyone's safety, but I have continued to try to teach him.  To make matters worse, this student wants to teach chemistry in a high school setting.

BP has offered to leave the group.  To which I thought, "Gee thanks BP, but do you think you could clean up the mess you made before you go."  But then my conscience got me, which is why I am writing this rather than wishing young BP good riddance.

I see my job as educating, and while I have expressed disdain for those "students" who don't want to an education, I feel an obligation to those who actually want to learn.  The problem here is that I am not sure if BP can.  Here he is ready to graduate, as soon as he get his research credit, and he can't balance equations, calculate limiting reagents, differentiate silicone oil from water, etc.  He has been failed by the system that has allowed him to get this far.  And when he graduates and starts teaching chemistry he will fail a new generation of students.  If I let BP go to another lab my laboratory life will be easier, and I will feel that I failed as an educator.

With two weeks until the new academic year begins I find myself wondering how I can face another class of students when my goal is to prepare them to become contributing members of society and the new purpose of higher education is to provide degrees to as many students as possible in six years or less.  At least that's what the public and the politicians are telling me.  My friends and colleagues have been telling me for years that I should just teach my classes and seek positive affirmation in those students who are successful and in my research.  For the vast majority of students who don't care my peers suggest not wasting energy on them.  I have never been able to do this.  All I know is that with two weeks until classes start, I should not be wondering if I really belong in modern higher education.

T.S. Hall

2 comments:

  1. "All I know is that with two weeks until classes start, I should not be wondering if I really belong in modern higher education."

    Perhaps wondering and writing are two of the reasons why you most assuredly do belong, as the only peers who frighten me are the ones who stop asking. That being said (written, technically), there are not as many sources of support as one would hope within the hallowed halls. But there are more of us than you might think...and in the most unlikely places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate the comment.

    T.S. Hall

    ReplyDelete