Monday, May 31, 2010

Undocumented Groundswell

While I have a longstanding interest in political issues, I generally try to avoid spouting off on subjects political that are outside research and academic funding.  That said, the issue of undocumented students is hitting me in the face these days.

Just after the Arizona undocumented alien issue hit the fan I was contacted by a prospective graduate student.  The student even came to campus to talk about my research.  His spoken and written English where not great, but in California that applies to many people born in US, and more than a couple of faculty members.  Interestingly, the prospective student told me that their family was paying for school and that he was not interested in being a TA or GA.  Of course the idea of an MS student who would actually spend all day in the lab had visions of publications dancing in my head.

Later when discussing the prospective student with the department's graduate advisor it was pointed out that the undocumented are not interested in being TA's because they would need to provide a social security number in order to get paid.  The student in question had indeed noted that they are undocumented on their application.

In the second slap, a regional community college has recently announced an endowed scholarship in the name of a student who was killed in an automobile accident.  The requirements of the scholarship are that recepients must be undocumented.  Rep. Dana Rohrabacher blasted the school for sending a message that encourages people to enter the country illegally.  He noted that they put their public funding at risk by such actions.

Putting these two things together with the mood of the community, I wonder how a faculty member dedicated to lifting people up though publically funded education should balance their responsibilities.  For me, living in California, I can't win.  No matter what I do, people will be upset and someone will not be served.  For me this brings home the need for some resolution of our immigration debate.

T.S. Hall

2 comments:

  1. If you're not pissing off at least a few people then you're not pushing the boundaries hard enough. High placed enemies are a badge of honor. Wear it proudly. Aren't you committed to the principle that all men are created equal? I believe that ewen applies to grad students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather be pushing the boundaries of organic chemistry or of my student's thought process than of the immigration debate. My point was that we need to fix the broken system of immigration, not that people are not equal.

    While I get your point, your using a flawed argument. If we agree that all men are created equal, why is it OK for some to violate the rules of the nation. Some here argue that those coming in as illegals see themselves as somehow more deserving or better than those that follow the rules and make their case for immigration. That is not equality. Equality is when everyone stands on the same playing field and follows the same rules.

    I argue, fix the rules!

    Damn! You sucked me into the exact argument I want no part of!

    ReplyDelete