Thursday, December 31, 2009

Be it resolved

I don't actually believe in New Year's Resolutions.  In a life focused on constant learning and teaching I figure we are always picking up new or improved ideas and methods and setting aside outdated and failed activities.  But, a little introspection could not hurt.

Research:
I was talking to one of my former students about their PhD work recently.  My alum indicated that their PhD mentor has a file of papers written that only lack the empirical data to make them publications.  While it makes me a bit uncomfortable to challenge the lab spirits in such a way, I see some value in this for my undergraduate and masters students and to my publication and granting record.  The research experience for my students could become more focused, and hopefully more productive.

Teaching:
I noticed this semester that my students don't know how to answer a question that requires justification.  Ask a student to pick between route A and route B and justify their choice and you get a mechanism for one route only.  As a class they don't understand how to support their answers.  I see this as a key skill for scientists, so I am going to spend some time on how to answer a question at the beginning of the semester and in our programs to help recruit and retain students in the sciences.

Service:
In bad economic times the service level of faculty increase more and more every day.  It's hard to say no to the needs of students and the university, but at some point you are spinning too many plates and all you are doing to running from plate to plate to keep them all spinning.  You need to determine which plates to let go of, finish the jobs that can be accomplished and not pick up new ones until your resources will allow you to.

If you don't have hope for the future academe is not the place for you.  The entire enterprise is about taking potential and making it into reality.

So, as we close out 2009, I wish all of you a better 2010 full of challenges and rewards.

T.S. Hall

1 comment:

  1. Research: The data frames the story. The prof helps the assistant find the best questions to ask.

    Teaching: Is everyone who has a science degree called a "scientist"?

    Service: Tell the dean to piss up a rope. Well, first ask for suggestions as to what to take off your plate.

    Somewhere out there is a truck with an Agilent GCMS with my name on it. Yeeehaaaawww!

    ReplyDelete